Back to Calendar
Business Items   Item #
Regular Council Meeting Agenda
Federation of Canadian Municipalities – Municipal Asset Management Program (MAMP) Grant - Boje
Strategic Vision Element:
Where People Choose to Live - A dynamic city with an exceptional quality of life
Citizens consistently express high levels of satisfaction with municipal services.
Request for Decision Summary
On May 15, 2020 the Federation of Canadian Municipalities announced the commencement of a grant program for municipal governments to apply for asset management related projects. The grant provides a maximum of $50,000, representing 80% of the project value for municipalities with populations over 1,000. The City has identified an opportunity to advance the asset management capability of the facilities portfolio by utilizing this grant and hiring a qualified contractor. A Council resolution is required as part of the grant application.
That Council direct Administration to apply for the Municipal Asset Management Program grant from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities to be used for the Facilities Portfolio - Asset Data Collection and to proceed with the following actions:
That the City commits $12,600 from its budget toward the costs of this initiative. collect asset inventory data for facilities assets;
create inspection templates and asses the condition of critical assets;
build a lifecyle plan based on data collected; and
The Federal Government has committed significant grant money to supporting municipalities in advancing asset management practices. The 2020 Federal Budget committed an additional $60M (above the previously committed $50M) to support municipal investments in asset management with these funds administered by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM).
On May 15, 2020, the FCM announced the commencement of a program for municipal governments to apply to the FCM directly for asset management related projects. The Municipal Asset Management Program (MAMP) grant provides a maximum of $50,000, representing 80% of the project value for municipalities with populations over 1,000. The grant will be made available either in 2020 or 2021.
The City currently has an interest and a desire to improve our asset management practices, which will allow Administration and Council to ultimately reach decisions with fuller and more complete information in hand. Development of an asset management system is underway to support the creation of asset plans which will, in-turn, support the creation of robust long-term capital plans.
Implementing a Corporate Asset Management System is best done in a phased approach that focuses on building a solid foundation of data, processes and standards. This first phase aims to build a complete and accurate asset register, implement a uniform and transparent method for assessing the condition of assets and to determine the criticality or importance of assets versus other assets in the system.
Since 2019, a significant amount of effort has contributed to laying these foundations for our Facilities Portfolio of assets. This grant will allow the City to move more rapidly along with its asset management implementation by utilizing a qualified contractor to build an accurate asset inventory and reliably evaluate conditions of critical assets. This work lays the foundation towards improved lifecycle planning and sustainable service delivery.
The Federal Government/FCM contribution of $50,000 represents 80% of a potential program cost. The remaining 20% of the cost ($12,600) must be funded by the City to access the maximum grant amount. The City does have the funds to contribute in either the 2020 or 2021 fiscal year.
Benefits: The City can advance the asset management practices for its Facilities Portfolio. Council authorizes the City Manager to apply for the FCM MAMP Grant and that administration issue a Request for Proposals to complete this work upon award.
Risks: The Grant requires that the project be fully complete within 12 months of notification of award.
Benefits: The City will not need to contribute $12,600 in matching funds, otherwise there are are no benefits to not applying for the Grant. Council declines to apply for the FCM MAMP Grant.
Risks: The City will not have advanced our Facilities Asset Management and capital lifecycling efforts.
The use of FCM MAMP Grant has been discussed and collaboratively agreed to by the Asset Management Committee and Asset Management Steering Committee.
The City will hire a qualified contractor to perform the outlined work.
The use of this grant will support and advance building the fundamentals of the Asset Management System for the Facilities Portfolio of assets. This will result in the City's ability to enhance capital lifecyle planning and prioritize resource allocation.
The expected City contribution of $12,600 can be accommodated within the department's operating budget.
No file(s) attached.